Drywall mud (or sheetrock compound) is made in an assortment of formulations by a number of different manufacturers. When mudding joints, those who are in the drywalling industry prefer to use products which dry quickly yet at the same time are easy to sand out. Of course, finding such compounds (can at times) be easier said than done.


Due to the difficulty in purchasing an easy sanding quick drying product, drywallers will apply quick drying mudding compounds as a first layer followed by easier sanding muds as top or finish coating.

Other pros may prefer a setting compound as their first coat then a specific type of finishing product to smooth out the walls. With that said I, myself, would only use setting compound if it's recommended by your drywall retailer (usually due to issues related to your specific geographical location).

Even so, for those who are not in a hurry, then an all purpose drywalling compound will work quite effectively (in most cases) for the majority of your mudding project including taping and the final finishing coat.

Mudding compounds are also applied to holes and other cracks that occur in a surface due to damage such as dents, scratches or structural movement etc.

On the other hand, if you're dealing with a large drywall hole and you're in a hurry to get it repaired then use a quick drying product as filler (or the first layer), follow up (once it's dry) with an all purpose mud.

Smaller divots and cracks, though, tend to fill best with a regular all purpose type mudding compound.


As a final note, prior to filling drywall joints or larger surface cracks, be sure to apply a drywalling tape first. By using a tape you will insure that your mudding doesn't move and crack after the job is completed.

When you're buying tape there are two types to choose from. Do keep in mind though that both kinds of tape do have their problems. As an example, fiberglass drywall tapes can be quite finicky when sanding, where as paper tapes may not sit flat once your mud has dried.


As a final note, the type of drywall compound used depends entirely on the work being done. Your local drywalling retailer is the best place to get information regarding advice, tools and materials for the job at hand. Also, for more help with the process of drywalling , drywall compound and spackling products along with other kinds of fillers, check out this page.

From drywall mud and hole fillers to the drywalling page

Return to the home page